Tuition & Financial Aid | Common Questions

Common Questions

Tell me more about federal financial aid.
To see if you qualify for federal financial aid, you must file a Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) every school year and release it to College Unbound (school code 042836). You also need to complete an online financial aid interview and provide any requested documents.

The federal government uses a formula to determine your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) and your Cost of Attendance (based on your enrollment) that will determine how much, if any, aid you receive. To receive aid, you must not be in default on any previous federal student loans. You also must make Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in the Academic Catalog.

You may receive a Pell Grant that does not need to be repaid. You may also qualify for federal student loans that must be repaid with interest. College Unbound strives to ensure affordability and urges students to contact a financial aid advisor before accepting federal loans.
The federal government selects about a third of students for verification. This simply means you need to provide additional documentation to ensure you receive the proper amount of aid. If you have been selected for verification, you will find the requested documents in our online financial aid platform.

The online interview is designed to learn more about you so we can tailor your aid to you.


To complete the online interview you will need the following information on hand:

  • Two references with phone and address information (must live at difference addresses).
  • Your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) that can be found on your Student Aid Report (SAR). Directions to access your Student Aid Report.

If you are not living with your parents, when the interview asks you about your parent status, please select unknown.


If eligible, the interview will ask you whether you wish to accept only grants, or grants and loans. Grants do not need to be repaid while loans must be repaid with interest. College Unbound strives to make college affordable and to graduate students with little or no college debt. If considering loans, we encourage you to speak with a financial aid advisor the implications.

Students who drop after the 7th day of a session will owe a partial bill on a sliding scale as outlined in the Academic Catalog.
A negative balance occurs if scholarships and/or loans you accepted exceed the cost of tuition and fees. If you have a negative balance, the college will send you a check by mail within a few days of the federal government sending the college your federal aid.

If you need help completing the FAFSA, the College Planning Center offers free assistance.


For financial aid questions, you can contact a College Unbound financial aid advisor Tom Norton at


For billing or payment questions, please contact Maureen Kayata online or by phone at (401) 752-2640.