Acceptance of Credits from Other Institutions
Credits earned at accredited institutions of higher education will be accepted. The age of the credits does not affect whether your credits will be accepted. College Unbound determines the amount of credit and level of credit accepted based on policies established by its faculty. No more than 90 credits from other institutions will be credited toward a College Unbound bachelor’s degree.
Proof of validation is required in all cases where an institution has awarded credit on a basis other than completion of a conventional academic course of instruction. Credits from non-accredited institutions may be validated through a portfolio assessment process or through standardized testing, if available and appropriate.
Prior Learning Assessment
College Unbound recognizes that college-level learning can take place outside the classroom and has processes to help students earn credit for that learning.
1. Credit for Testing/Standardized Exams
- College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- DSST -- Prometric DSST Program
- GRE -- Graduate Record Exam Subject Tests
- UExcel -- Excelsior College Examination Program
- OHIO -- Ohio University End-of-Course Exams
- NYU -- New York University Language Exams
- TECEP -- Thomas Edison College Examination Program
2. Credit for Training
- Trainings evaluated for credit by the ACE (American Council on Education) and/or National CCRS (National College Credit Recommendation Service)
3. Credential Evaluation
- Credential or professional license awarded by a state, national, or professional organization that required a proctored exam that have been reviewed and recommended for credit by American Council for Education (ACE), and/or National CCRS.
4. Transfer Credit for Military Experience
- Most military training and experience is reviewed for college credit by the American Council for Education (ACE).
5. Portfolio Assessment
- CAEL/Learning Counts -- Council for Adult and Experiential Learning Portfolio Assessment